A construction worker has died after an incident at the site of Everton FC’s new stadium in Liverpool.
Police said the 26-year-old man died in hospital following the incident at Bramley-Moore Dock, which took place around 1pm on Monday.
“His next of kin have been told, and an investigation is under way,” a Merseyside Police spokesperson said.
“Officers remain at the scene as we continue with the early stages of the investigation alongside the Health and Safety Executive.”
In a statement, a spokesperson for Everton FC said the club was “heartbroken by the news”.
“The thoughts and condolences of everyone connected with Everton are with his family, friends, and colleagues at this unimaginably sad time.”
The club said its stadium contractor, Laing O’Rourke, would work with police and the Health and Safety Executive “to establish the full details of the incident”.
A spokesperson for Laing O’Rourke confirmed the man was employed by one of its subcontractors and that work on the site had been suspended “until further notice”.
“We are shocked and saddened by today’s tragic incident, and our thoughts are with the family and friends of the deceased man and our wider project team,” the company said in a statement.
“We will cooperate fully with any investigation that follows.”
The stadium is currently under construction and is set to be ready in time for the start of the 2025-26 season.