This position is responsible for supporting the operations management team in deploying EHS requirements and creating a mature EHS culture within the plant. As well as providing technical expertise, the holder is responsible for influencing line management and promoting leading EHS behaviours. The holder is responsible for advising management on compliance with EHS legal requirements as well as Group and Sector EHS standards and policies. This is in line with the Johnson Matthey value of ‘Protecting people and the planet’.
Johnson Matthey, a FTSE 250 organisation, is a global leader in sustainable technologies specialising in catalysis, precious metal products, chemicals and process technology. With operations in over 30 countries, we employ more than 12,600 people. We have more 200 years of success behind us; be part of the next stage of our growth journey and help maintain our reputation as one of the most admired organisations in our field. Our unique culture and people give us competitive advantage and will ensure our success for years to come. You can be part of that success story.
- Show leadership in all areas of EHS by influencing, supporting and challenging Line Management in the prioritisation and deployment of EHS requirements.
- Monitor leadership engagement and give clear and transparent feedback.
- Communicate EHS requirements with passion and conviction.
- Is visible and approachable within the workplace, and coach others on how to demonstrate required EHS behaviours. Challenge undesirable behaviours, and consistently sends a message that safety is a core value.
- Assist site management team in defining the required safety culture for the site.
- Actively participate in Sector EHS discussions. Be willing to share best practices and promote standardisation across the sector.
- Develop and mentor direct and indirect reports within the position’s scope of responsibility.
- Lead by example: both manage and complete tasks while actively engaging with all levels of the organization
- Promote 2-way dialog amongst the workforce, while providing feedback on all relevant situations
- Self-directed on day-to-day tasks, with key-stakeholder buy-in on larger, more complicated initiatives and programs.
- Build organisational capability through identifying gaps in the EHS organisation, ensuring specialist EHS skills are identified and in place, and coaching and mentoring current/future EHS professionals.
- Develop KPIs and track site performance to drive improved EHS performance improvement
Requirements for the role:
- Level 6 Diploma in Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene, or Environmental Engineering or in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering + post graduate qualification in EHS (e.g Diploma)
- Experience in EHS management within a manufacturing environment, preferably in automotive and /or Chemical companies in positions related to occupational safety, industrial hygiene, or environmental experience
- Experience in working effectively in complex Matrix organisations
- Significant experience in building and maintaining positive relationships internally and externally to the organisation
- Working knowledge of the applicable international, national & local Standards and legislation is required
- Experience in Team leadership, creating high performance teams
- Experience in developing company management systems and maintaining of ISO 9001, 14001 and 45001
How you will be rewarded:
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package including bonus, excellent pension contributions and 25 days annual leave (varies for shift-based roles).
At JM, an inclusive culture is integral to our values and ambitions for the future. We are committed to ensuring that everyone can bring their full self to work and thrive in their career. Welcoming everyone to JM, regardless of their unique characteristics, experiences or thoughts allows us to bring many different voices and experiences together to tackle the world’s biggest challenges. Being truly inclusive means that all colleagues feel valued for their differences, views and contributions, and feel a sense of belonging at JM.
Johnson Matthey is open for discussion on part time, job share and flexible working patterns
Closing date for applications: 7th February, early application is advised
To apply for this job please visit matthey.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com.